Can you commit an alcoholic or other drug addict?

In most jurisdictions, the police or a mental health professional can have people who are found to be a danger to themselves or others committed for a brief period of observation (usually 48 – 72 hours). Then the court can decide to commit them for further treatment, or not.

Most jurisdictions also have provisions for family members to commit for observation, under limited circumstances. You should call your local health department for direction to the correct channels.

You should also know that the great majority of treatment facilities are not locked down, and patients are free to leave (against medical advice, of course) at any time.  They may face penalties for doing so, however.

This entry was posted in addiction treatment, drug Abuse, family by Bill. Bookmark the permalink.

About Bill

Birder, cat-lover, pilot, poet. Former lounge lizard, pauper, pagan, lifeguard, chauffeur,cop and martial artist, turned pacifist addiction writer. Tries to be a good husband, father and brother, and makes a decent friend. Likes to take pictures. Stumbling down the Middle Path, one day at a time.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s