Everyone’s lamenting the inconveniences, horror and/or fake-newsness of the pandemic, but not too many folks outside of us oddballs in the recovery community seem to consider the things we have to be grateful for. So I thought I’d make a list of some of mine.
- Even though I’m in a high-risk category due to my age and health issues, I’m still alive.
- I’m not unemployed; I’m retired with a little bit of income.
- I’m on Social Security, so unless Mr. Trump and his gang manage to wipe out all the “entitlements” I’m not going to starve or lose my home.*
- Since I’m pretty-much a stay-at-home anyway (not to say an introvert), I’m not terribly inconvenienced or troubled by home quarantining and social distancing. I’d like to be able to visit my kids, grandkids, and a couple of good friends occasionally, and I miss face-to-face meetings – although I think online meetings have much to offer and I’m anxious to see how they change the face of the recovery community in the long run.
- I don’t have to walk the cats.
- I’m quarantined with my best friend, squabble though we might from time to time.
- My Kindle and smartphone.
- The Internet, flawed and troll-ridden though it is.
- My supports in my recovery fellowships.
- Air conditioning. Living in Florida is both a blessing (Winter) and curse (the other 9 months of the year). I managed as a kid without A/C, but I’m totally spoiled now.
- I live within a mile of 98% of the stores I need to visit occasionally, including a Publix, Aldi’s, B.J.’s, Target, CVS, and several decent takeout joints.
- Mail-in ballots.
- A reliable car.
- The little lake we live on, and bird-watching out the bedroom window.
- Living in a community of older folks without boom boxes and drive-by shootings.
- Now I’m starting to sound like an old fogy, so I’ll stop. But you get the idea.
Did you make out a gratitude list of your own lately? Might it be time?
*Damn right I’m entitled. I paid into that fund for over fifty years. It’s not my fault that politicians used the money on things for which it wasn’t intended.